Chelsea team news
The home loss to Arsenal was another hurtful reminder of the sudden and unexpected fallibility that has scuppered our early title challenge. While Chelsea occupy the third rung on the ladder of big goalscoring chances missed (44), we occupy third position for most errors leading directly to goals (5), behind only relegation-haunted Everton and Watford.
The match against West Ham at London Stadium back in December told a similar tale. The Blues enjoyed two-thirds possession and outgunned the Irons on overall shots and those on target, but still ended up frustrated at a 2-3 loss.
Race for Champions League places
Finishing in the top four is still very much in Chelsea’s hands as the Blues have a five-point advantage over Arsenal in fifth, despite the further setback on Wednesday.
The two teams with the best chance of dislodging the Blues, the Gunners and fourth-placed Tottenham, will meet in the north London derby on 12 May, clipping at least two points off the maximum available to one or both of them. Coupled with the west Londoners’ superior goal difference, a return of 11 points from the 21 still on offer should secure top four.
|To Play||Points||Goal Difference||Maximum Points|
Chelsea have won six out of their last 12 games against West Ham United.
- Dec 04, 2021 – West Ham United 3 vs. Chelsea 2
- Apr 24, 2021 – Chelsea 1 vs. West Ham United 0
- Dec 21, 2020 – Chelsea 3 vs. West Ham United 0
- Jul 01, 2020 – West Ham United 3 vs. Chelsea 2
- Nov 30, 2019 – West Ham United 1 vs. Chelsea 0
- Apr 08, 2019 – Chelsea 2 vs. West Ham United 0
- Sep 23, 2018 – Chelsea 0 vs. West Ham United 0
- Apr 08, 2018 – West Ham United 1 vs. Chelsea 1
- Dec 09, 2017 – West Ham United 1 vs. Chelsea 0
- Mar 06, 2017 – Chelsea 2 vs. West Ham United 1
- Mar 04, 2017 – Chelsea 2 vs. West Ham United 1
- Aug 15, 2016 – Chelsea 2 vs. West Ham United 1
Chelsea vs West Ham
This is one of Chelsea’s two games in hand over Arsenal. But they will need to pick up some points from those matches as they are currently just two points above the Gunners and four ahead of Tottenham.
They won’t want to fall off to the point where they are suddenly in a fight for the top four. Especially given they still have an FA Cup final to come too.